Synopsis wise, The Lazarus Effect is just one of many horror films involving possession and black eyes. But seeing the cast list in a film like this, including Olivia Wilde, Mark Duplass, and Donald Glover, has my hopes running high for this one. Just don’t kill the dog!
Now that you’ve seen the trailer, experience it as I did:
- 0:01 – Ooo thunder. How very Frankenstein of them.
- 0:23 – No not a dog! Why not use a cockroach or something where I don’t have to look into those eyes and want to be its friend and then cry when something bad inevitably happens to it!?
- 0:33 – Ah crazy Resident Evil dog!
- 0:34 – Phew, the dog is all better now.
- 0:51 – Or not! The dog is not better now! Something is very wrong with that dog! (Second viewing thoughts – The question is if the dog is growling at her because it came back evil, or if this is later on in the film and it is growling at Olivia Wilde because it sense she is evil. Either way the dog is most likely going to die…)
- 1:09 -Bad Olivia Wilde! You made poor Mark Duplass cry… I’m actually pretty interested to see the tone this film takes since there are a few comedic actors in the cast. I doubt it will go the route of Cabin in the Woods or anything, but I’m more than happy to accept some bits of levity in there like You’re Next.
- 1:20 – I wish I was aware enough in the morning when I first wake up to pull of this gag on someone. It’s never gonna happen though.
- 1:46 – I guess that explains the comment about too much neurological activity earlier. At first I was confused about this cuz you wouldn’t think coming back to life would make a dog smarter, but if there are two beings in one body that’s double the brain activity!
- 2:06 – Troy and (No) Abed Being Crushed to Death in the Morning! Just doesn’t roll off the tongue quite as well…
Fingers crossed for this one. I love me some horror, but I can also admit when a film just doesn’t work. And a good cast doesn’t always make the film (looking at you, The Purge). But for now I will keep on hoping. What do you think?